192 Missouri Historical Review
introduced in the United States Congress on June 6 a resolution
calling for the establishment of a Carver Memorial Library to be
located in the park.
The Scott Joplin Memorial Foundation Committee erected a
monument to ragtime music and its founder, Scott Joplin, in
Sedalia on October 16, the city's 101st birthday. Joplin composed
his famous tune "Maple Leaf Rag" in Sedalia and it was published
there in 1899 by John Stark and Sons Publishing Company.
The 1,600-pound granite marker was erected on the site of the
old Maple Leaf Club, formed in Joplin's honor alter he wrote the
tune. The names of Arthur Marshall, Scott Hayden and Tom
Ireland also appear on the marker as a tribute to their role in the
birth of ragtime.
The Cole County Historical Society placed a plaque on the
G. H. Dulle house in Jefferson City on October 1, dedicating the
house as a Civil War memorial. The dedication climaxed Museum
Week, September 26-October 1, sponsored by the society in observance of the Civil War Centennial. Built in 1858, the Dulle house
three years later served Union Major General John C. Fremont as a
headquarters when his troops occupied the town. Henry Andrae of
Jefferson City spoke at the dedication, tracing the war record of
Fremont. W. Howard Adams of Blue Springs, a member of the
Governor's Civil War Commission, spoke on the "Responsibilities
of Historical Societies."
The Columbian Chapter of the Daughters of the American
Revolution dedicated a plaque on October 14, marking the site of
the Bonne Femme Academy, the first institution of higher learning
in Boone County. The plaque, placed near the present Little Bonne
Femme Baptist Church in Boone County, reads "Bonne Femme
Academy —1829 to circa 1849." Active in placing the marker were
Mrs. Alice H. LaForce of Columbia who researched the project, and
Mrs. Mary Dorsey Bass of Columbia, a relative of Warren Woodson,
the first teacher at the Academy.
A marker inscribed with a short history of Harrison County was
placed September 8 at the intersection of U. S. 69 and 136, southwest of Bethany. The marker, furnished by the State Historical
Society of Missouri and the State Highway Commission, was
received in 1959 but a plot on which to erect it was only recently