On March 5, 1946, the former British Prime
Minister Winston Churchill delivered the annual John Findley Green Foundation lecture
at the Westminster College Gymnasium, Fulton.
He had been invited by the college president,
Franc L. McCleur, to deliver the annual lecture
on "political and economic matters of international concern." His prophetic speech,
"Sinews of Peace," warned that an iron curtain had descended across the continent from
the Baltic to the Adriatic seas. Missouri Governor Phil M. Donnelly and President McCleur
look on as Churchill speaks (left). The college
gymnasium (above) has been designated a
Registered National Historic Landmark to commemorate the famous speech.
President Harry S. Truman relayed the
invitation to Churchill to visit his home state.
He accompanied the distinguished guest to
This church of St. Mary, The Virgin, Alderman-
bury (left), is the only example of an original
17th-century church, designed by Sir Christopher
Wren, to be reconstructed on American soil. It
stands on the campus of Westminster College,
Fulton, as a memorial to Winston Churchill. Dedicated, May 7, 1969, it is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places.