President Harry S. Truman and former Prime Minister
Winston Churchill visited Fulton on March 5, 1946. Accompanying them and seated below, left to right, were Westminster College President Franc L. McCluer and Missouri
Governor Phil M. Donnelly.
Fulton's Distinguished Visitors:
Truman and Churchill, 1946
BY MARY K. DAINS*
In 1936, Mrs. John Findley Green established at Westminster
College in Fulton, Missouri, a memorial honoring her husband to be
known as the John Findley Green Foundation Lecture Series. The
purpose was to bring to the college campus each year a man of
international reputation to discuss economic, social or political
problems of international concern.
During the World War II years, the college had omitted the
lecture, but in 1945 with the founding of the new United Nations,
the world appeared to be striving for peace and prosperity. College
president Dr. Franc L. McCluer began in the summer to think of
a lecturer to resume the series next winter. He suddenly thought
of Sir Winston Churchill, the famous British Prime Minister who
*Mary K. Dains is an associate editor of the Missouri Historical Review.