Dr. William Moore started the Franklin County Progress, which later became the Franklin County Tribune, in Union, Missouri on May 15, 1865. The paper moved and changed names several times during its history. It started as a democratic paper, but became a republican paper when Clark Brown purchased the paper in 1887. This is when the paper changed names to the Franklin County Tribune and moved back to Union. Brown sold the paper to A. L. Baumgartner in 1907. Baumgartner did not change the policy of the paper when he became editor. “We will direct our efforts towards the upbuilding of Union and Franklin county. Politically, we will ever champion the principles of the republican party, the party of progress and prosperity. But in so doing we will not lose sight of the fact that no political party has a monopoly of honesty, and will grant our political opponents the right to their honest convictions.” Baumgartner remained editor and proprietor until he retired from the newspaper industry in 1919 and the Tribune consolidated with the Republican Headlight and became the Republican Tribune.
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection