H. D’b Cutler, editor and Publisher of the Lancaster Excelsior, printed the first issue on March 15, 1866. The elaborate banner boldly declared, “A Weekly Newspaper, Devoted to the Interest of Schuyler County and Missouri radicalism.” Cutler was working at a pro-slavery, democratic newspaper in Iowa at the start of the Civil War but supported the Union cause throughout. The Excelsior was published as a “country newspaper” and “a friend to progress, education, virture and order.” The Lancaster Excelsior was succeeded by the Excelsior which ceased publication in 1909.
Search by Date
Enter in YYYY-MM or YYYY-MM-DD format
Browse the Collection