A.R. Grigsby established The Saline Republican in 1892. By 1899, the name was changed to The Marshall Republican, and by 1906 J. J. Witt was editor and proprietor. Witt tended to embrace social reform, but complaining about the cowardice of Marshall’s reformers in the February 9, 1906 issue, he stated “Of course, we want to condemn in plain words all wrong-doing, but don’t expect us to do all the dirty work.” In 1913 Witt was joined by Eugene L. Preston who became responsible for local news while Witt maintained responsibility for editorials; Witt and Preston controlled the paper until publication ceased in 1914.
Search the Marshall Republican on Chronicling America.