The Montgomery Tribune was launched in Montgomery City in 1892. A number of editors were associated with the paper during its run, including two transplanted Chicagoans, Ferdinand Wahrer and Charles W. Gurney. Regardless of editorship, the Tribune was proudly Republican. In the March 29, 1901 issue, responding to news that a second Democratic paper was considering Montgomery City as home, the Tribune proclaimed that “if we can have another democratic newspaper in our city we will make it red hot.” The Tribune ceased publication at the end of 1910, leaving Montgomery City without a Republican newspaper to rival the Montgomery Standard.
Search the Montgomery Tribune on Chronicling America.